When you are selling your home or multi-unit property in Silicon Valley, the single-most important thing you’ll have to decide is your asking price. That’s where the comparative market analysis, or CMA, comes in.
A CMA is simply an estimate of your home or property’s current market value based on other, recently sold properties, ideally in the same neighborhood, that are similar to yours in size and features (these are often called comps). Knowing your property’s value can help you determine a solid listing price.
If you price your home or property too high, it will sit on the market without selling and you may end up getting less money in the long run; if you price it too low, you are leaving money on the table. Neither of these is a good option. There is a happy medium that allows you sell your house or property according to the one truth in real estate: A home or property is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it in the current market. Obtaining that CMA gets you in the ballpark and lets you know what other properties like yours have sold for in the recent past.
What’s the Difference Between a CMA and an Appraisal?
A CMA is different from a home or property appraisal. In an appraisal, a bank arranges for a state-certified or state-licensed appraiser to visit your home or property and report observations and facts about the property to determine fair market value, as of the date of the appraisal. This formal appraisal ensures that the bank is not lending your potential buyers more money than the property is worth. Appraisals are usually done by banks for lending purposes and cost money. CMAs are done by real estate agents working in the market and are free. A comparative market analysis is a great way to guide you in determining your asking or list price.
Ready to Sell a Home or Multi-Unit in Silicon Valley?
Selling a home or multi-unit property can be stressful, but Debbie Marino is here to help. If you live anywhere in Silicon Valley, call or text Debbie at 408-210-2400 or send an email to Debbie@PropertiesInSiliconValley.com to request a free CMA.
If you’re also looking for a new home or multi-unit property in Silicon Valley, use the links below to get started:
Silicon Valley Real Estate Searches by Property Type
- San Jose homes for sale | San Jose Duplexes for Sale | San Jose Triplexes for Sale | San Jose Fourplexes for Sale
- Campbell homes for sale | Campbell Duplex for Sale | Campbell Triplexes for Sale | Campbell Fourplexes for Sale
- Santa Clara homes for sale | Santa Clara Duplexes for Sale | Santa Clara Triplexes for Sale | Santa Clara Fourplexes for Sale
- Cambrian Park homes for sale | Cambrian Park Duplexes for Sale | Cambrian Park Triplexes for Sale | Cambrian Park Fourplexes for Sale
- Los Gatos homes for sale | Los Gatos Duplexes for Sale | Los Gatos Triplexes for Sale | Los Gatos Fourplexes for Sale
- Monte Sereno homes for sale | Monte Sereno Duplexes for Sale | Monte Sereno Triplexes for Sale | Monte Sereno Fourplexes for Sale
- Rose Garden homes for sale
- Saratoga, CA homes for sale | Saratoga Duplexes for Sale | Saratoga Triplexes for Sale | Saratoga Fourplexes for Sale
- Willow Glenn homes for sale
- Silicon Valley Duplexes for sale
- Silicon Valley Triplexes for sale
- Silicon Valley Fourplexes for sale
Search Silicon Valley Investment Property & Real Estate Listings by Price
- Below $500,000
- $500,000 to $600,000
- $600,000 to $700,000
- $700,000 to $800,000
- $800,000 to $900,000
- $900,000 to $1,000,000
- $1 million to $2 million
- $2 million to $3 million
- $3 million to $4 million
- $4 million to $5 million
- $5 million to $6 million
- $6 million to $7 million
- $7 million to $8 million
- $8 million to $9 million
- $9 million to $10 million
- $10 million and up